Friday, May 1, 2009

Kehinde Wiley

























I found out about I found out about Kehinde Wiley form a video a couple of months ago and thought wow this is pure genius. I'm so proud of my generation, I would of never thought that I'd see paintings like his but I'm glad to see that in my lifetime there's an artist like him. What I love most about his work is that the paintings that he draws from were people that back them they identified with and the paintings that he has created and paintings that people can recognize and I hope that this will inspire and create more greatness for the generations to come.



In his work he brings light to the negative sterotypes of black men , there viewed as villans and not as heroes. Mostly those viewed as heroes are white males. His paintings are based on well-known images of powerful figures drawn from seventeenth- through nineteenth-century Western art.





He replaces the white males with models that he searches for nation wide and poses them them to resemble compostions of famous paintings.





"Kehinde Wiley’s portraits of African American men collate modern culture with the influence of Old Masters. Incorporating a range of vernaculars culled from art historical references, Wiley’s work melds a fluid concept of modern culture, ranging from French Rococo to today’s urban landscape. By collapsing history and style into a unique contemporary vision, Wiley interrogates the notion of master painter, “making it at once critical and complicit.” Vividly colorful and often adorned with ornate gilded frames, Wiley’s large-scale figurative paintings, which are illuminated with a barrage of baroque or rococo decorative patterns, posit young black men, fashioned in urban attire, within the field of power reminiscent of Renaissance artists such as Tiepolo and Titian. "

No comments:

Post a Comment